Sunday, August 23, 2009

Chocolate Torte Cupcakes w/ Orange Infused Figs



Today, I found these beautiful figs at my local grocer. Ripe and rich in color, I couldn't wait to make something with this lovely fruit. I thought about a custard tart, but really wanted to pair these beauties with chocolate. After washing the figs I took a few pictures of them, thinking about how many ways to prepare; bake them, sauté in a pan or eat them raw. After much deliberation I decided to bake with them. What came out of my oven was a figgy, orangey, fudgy...the most decadent cake I think I've ever made. The brownie absorbed the marmalade making a hot chocolate pudding. The raw sugar crystallized to make a crisp coating on the figs. All this dessert needed was a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream to top it off.

Here's what you'll need:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees

A box of your favorite fudgy brownie mix
1/2 C milk chocolate chips
12 fresh figs, washed and sliced thinly
2 Tbls balsamic vinegar
3/4 C orange marmalade
Raw sugar for sprinkling

I cut the figs into thin slices, placing them in a bowl and infused them with 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar. I also grabbed a jar of orange marmalade from the pantry, scooped a few healthy spoonfuls into a bowl and heated in the microwave for 20 seconds. This made the marmalade thin a bit so that I could pour it over the balsamic vinegar soaked figs. I let this marinate for about 10 minutes.

In another bowl I prepared my favorite dark chocolate brownie mix, adding in a 1/2 Cup of milk chocolate chips. I filled cupcake pan cups half full with the brownie mix, topping it with three slices of marmalade and balsamic vinegar figs, then sprinkled raw sugar on top, baking for 25 minutes at 350 degrees. I hope you will try this quick and easy recipe. Enjoy!

Y ~ squarebakery

No comments:

Post a Comment